This page is dedicated to 'The 1940 McCall Project'. You may already know of my love for McCall patterns. This has been growing steadily since I started sewing. One year in particular, 1940 is my absolute favourite. The styles from 1940 are so stylish, wearable and unique. I want a wardrobe full of 1940 fashions! Enter the 1940 McCall Project in which I will attempt to sew the entire catalogue of McCall patterns published in the year 1940!! This is not a small undertaking. I think it will take me well over a decade to find them all and sew them but it's something I want to try and do. No pressure but lots of fun. I won't neglect other decades either but this will be my go-to-decade and pattern company for sewing.
How many patterns were produced in 1940? Well, I've narrowed it down that the year starts with pattern number 3552 or 3553 and ends somewhere in the early 4000 number. That's just the main patterns. McCall also produced a series of transfer patterns. So, the grand total of 1940 McCall patterns is somewhere between 539 to 546 patterns!!! I've managed to collect about a quarter of all the patterns so far. You can view my entire collection on pinterest.
How You Can Help
I've had several people email me asking how they can help. There's several ways:
- If you see a 1940 McCall pattern for sale, let me know! Email me at: myhappysewingplace[at]googlemail[dot]com. I've been pretty good at tracking ebay and etsy but I always missing things! I've got my eye on a few things at the moment but have to wait until my budget catches up...lol. If you are a pattern seller, let me know if you have any upcoming 1940 McCall patterns.
- Do you have a 1940 pattern in your stash? Wanna swap patterns? I've got some really great 30s, 40s and 50s patterns and am happy to swap patterns (plus you can make a copy of the 1940 pattern before the swap--so you get the best of both worlds!)
- I also take presents. hahahahaha. If you find a 1940 pattern in your home and don't feel like you can give it the love it needs, don't hesistate to send it my way. Just email me.
- I'm also interested in links, photos of any fashion or pattern related item from the year 1940! I hope to do a bit more delving into the year including looking at other pattern companies--so feel free to email me anything you think I might find interesting.
- Lastly, I'm hoping to find some people who have themselves or whose family members worked at McCall's during this time period! Send me your family stories!
Here are the patterns I have sewn up so far. Check back on this page as it will keep growing! Just click the picture to go to the blog post....