Monday, April 15, 2013
1970s Does 1940s Dress Refashion
This is the dress before I refashioned it (I'm bummed I didn't take any before pictures of me wearing it...silly me!) It was way too long in the bodice and much to long length-wise. This combination threw off the whole proportion and fit of the dress. In fact, it fit very much like the first dress I ever made (eeps).
Here's a close-up of the pocket and buttons:
There was also one missing button at the waistline. To fix the fit of the dress I knew I had to bring it up at the shoulders. This meant that I had to first take off the sleeves. I ended up taking up the shoulders by about 2 and 1/2 inches. I ended up making graduated tuck on the inside from the sleeve to the collar. It does have a small pucker under the collar from taking out all this fabric but the collar hides it very well and there was no way I was going to take off and reattach the collar!
I then had to reattach the sleeves but knew that the sleeve caps were going to be 2 and 1/2 inches too small. So I made darts in my sleeve caps (one of my favourite design features from 1940s patterns). I got the darts perfect in one sleeve and a bit, um, too pointy in the other sleeve. Aw, well...the pattern is very busy, I don't think you really notice (except now that I've pointed it out...lol...)
I also took off about 5-6 inches off the hemline which also allowed me to grab one of the buttons from the hem to replace the one on the waistline. Huzzah, brand new 40s/50s inspired dress!
We took these photos right above Waverly train station. The photo above has the Balmoral Hotel in the background. This photo shows North Bridge and the Scotsman Hotel:
It was a little windy that day too :-)
I don't know about you, but I should do some more quick easy refashions. They are almost as exhilarating as sewing a new pattern!