Here's some lovely examples of collar patterns:
1. 1941 McCall removable collar to embroider or smock, from my collection 2. 1940s dickey pattern, available at this shop on Etsy; 3. mid 40's blouse with jabot collar, available at this shop on Etsy; 4. 1940's Advance dickey pattern, available from this shop on Etsy.1950's
1. 1950 collars, cuffs and vestee pattern, available at this shop on Etsy. 2. 1950s collar and matching bouquet pattern, sewn up by Marie at A Sewing Oddysey; 3. McCall's 1950's hats, collars and cuffs pattern, available at this shop on Etsy; 4. 1940's McCall's collars, shawl and cuffs pattern, available from this shop on Etsy.More 1950's patterns for basic dresses with interchangeable collars:
1. 1950's dress with removable collars, available at this shop on Etsy. 2. 1950s dress with collars, scarf and capelet, available at this shop on Etsy; 3. McCall's 1950's scoop neck dress with collar variations, available at this shop on Etsy; 4. 1950's Simplicity 3973 dress with overlay collar/cape, available from this shop on Etsy.
1. 1969 shift dress with collar and cuff variations, available at this shop on Etsy. 2. 1960s collar variations including ruffled collar, available at Heavens to Betsy Vintage; 3. Simplicity 1960's dress with collar variations, available at this shop on Ecrater; 4. 1960's McCall's collar variations, available from Another Time pattern shop.
My First Dress: A Removable Collars and Cuffs Project:
I'm definitely in love with collars. In fact, the very first dress I made had detachable collar and cuffs. I've made it a point to revisit this dress at the same time every year on the date that I posted my first ever blog post (on this very dress). So far I've done yellow and green collar and cuffs. Maybe this year I'll go for purple or another colour of green? What colour do you I should do next?
Collar Sewing Tutorials and Resources:
Here are some fabulous resources (leave a comment if you know of others not on this list!)
- Great tutorials from Casey's Elegant Musings on making a detachable autumn collar and a faux fur collar.
- Casey also did a two-part series on creating a scalloped 1930's inspired collar for the Pendrell blouse (or any other blouse), check out part 1 and part 2 of the tutorial.
- Gertie also did a three-part tutorial series on drafting a peter pan collar. Check out part 1, part 2, and part 3 of that tutorial.
- The Coletterie blog has loads of inspiration for vintage inspired collars. Check out their tutorial on making a lace overlay collar, a faux fur collar (with free pattern) and their recent post on collar inspirations details.
- Megan Nielson put together a great tutorial on constructing a scalloped edge beaded detachable collar
- If you crochet, there are some amazing free vintage crochet collar patterns available here.
- The Costumer's Manifesto has a great list of free patterns for men's and women's detachable collars from the 1850s to the 1930s.