Happy Friday everyone! I was really happy to dip my toes into refashioning this week and decided to tackle a jacket that's been in my closet for awhile but that I don't really wear that often.
It's a lovely colour and I really like the fabric (linen look) but it's not quite the right style for me.
5 hours later...et viola...My new jacket based on a 1933 pattern complete with matching neck scarf:
I thought I would try out the same techniques of refashioning that were used in the 1940's. Instead of just taking in a side seam here or chopping the sleeves there. I took apart this entire jacket. I first took out the lining, then meticulously unpicked every seam. It took about 2.5 hours to take apart the entire jacket as most of the seams were serged. Here are all the pieces:
I decided I was going to try and make it into an early 1930's jacket and use McCall 7284 as my base. This pattern is also this week's giveaway. Leave a comment on this post by midnight GMT tonight for a chance to enter!
1941 trousers from the Simplicity repro pattern. Luckily, I had some of the nice lightweight wool left over from the trousers to make the matching neck scarf...LOVE it!!
I kept the original jacket's front facings, buttons and buttonholes, back darts and cuffs. I redid the neckline and shoulder caps and added the front princess seam. I also added a snap at the bottom of the jacket since I had to cut the last button off since it was literally on the bottom seamline!
Here is the back of the jacket before the refashion...not fitting me very well:
Here is my new jacket back. So much better:
The original jacket was lined but I decided that I didn't want to line this one. Since it's so short and fitted and the fabric is more lightweight, I felt it didn't really need it. I did decide to neaten up the seams on the inside by binding them all with some matching lime green binding I had in my stash. I really like how it looks:
The one consistent pattern alteration I have to make is to lengthen sleeves. I love my sleeves on a bit of the longer side as well and decided to reuse the beautiful cuffs from the original jacket but instead of folding them down (as in the original) to keep them straight to create a bit of a feature cuff. I really like how it looks:
We've been having the typical start to the Scottish summer (i.e. three seasons in one day) and we managed to get poured on while taking these photos! hehehehe....Here's to singin' in the rain! :)