Thursday, May 19, 2011
My 1940 hooded dress...
I made this dress for the UK meet-up. I started it on Friday evening and didn't finish it until Saturday morning at around 9:30am (since I caught the 6am train I finished the last bits on the train!!!). I didn't even go to sleep!! I was so excited about this dress and about the meet-up!
In honour of the meet-up and this week's theme over at the Sew Weekly, I used a super cute union jack lining material for the hood:
And the pocket flaps:
I used red gabardine (which is a bit tricky to photograph but it's a true red). After working with the loose weave fabric, gabardine was a dream to sew!!
The pattern is basically a princess seamed dress with buttons going down the entire front:
And there's the hood--I really love the hood:
But I think my favourite part of the dress has to be the lines in the back! The princess seams make the fabric form gentle pleats in the back:
YAY! I am very happy with my new dress!!!